Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Gifts. Less is More.

The last two weeks have been crazy around the Johnson house. BJ was at the church day and night in preparation for The Joy Of Christmas production, a Christmas production put on by The Los Angeles Dream Center. It was amazing! There were 7 shows in 5 nights, thousands of people in attendance and many children blessed with bikes and other amazing Christmas gifts. It was a very special event to be a part of. So, while he was busy at the church I was at home with my girls playing single mommy. I have to take a second and seriously give honor where honor is due. Every mom is a super mom, but especially those mommies who do it all by themselves. You all are my heroes! I am not really sure how I got through those two weeks. I even caught a stomach bug and was not feeling well. So, I guess my point is is that I was one tired momma come Monday morning when it was all done.

Lazy Day.

BJ had the day off this past Monday. Having him home kind of felt like a day off for me too. We drank coffee, lounged around the house, spent some time with just the four of us and even snuck in a few cat naps here and there. It was a really great day. About half way through my day I starting day dreaming about the perfect gift I could give myself for the crazy past couple of weeks. I do that every now and then. This time I dreamt of a day at the spa. I'm talking manicure, pedicure, facial and a massage. A spa day just for myself.

Wake Up.

I woke up from my day dream to the smell of a couple stinky diapers! I guess this spa day wasn't in the near future. Haha. After we put the girls to sleep, BJ went to check the mail. I don't ever check the mail, in fact, I don't like to. Getting bills in the mail probably has something to do with it. BJ threw me a card that was addresses to me. I thought it might be a Christmas card from or something. When I opened it, I realized it was a card sent from him. It was seriously one of the most special things I have ever received. It was just what I needed when I needed it. He told me how he sent that card to me over a week ago and was anxiously awaiting its arrival. I was smiling ear to ear. I quickly forgot about this spa day I so desperately wanted and all those feelings of being overwhelmed, tired and drained went away. It was a simple gift but it was what I needed. I just didn't know it.

Sometimes less is more.

When I looked at the envelope it almost looked like one of those cards with the fake check inside written out to you for one million dollars. You know the kind I'm talking about. So to be honest I wasn't all that excited to open the card. What if I had disregarded it or even thrown it away because of its packaging? How many gifts has God sent my way that I have overlooked and thrown away because it didn't come in the package I was looking for? This card meant the world to me and I am so glad I gave it chance. Not to say that a spa day wouldn't be nice (this is a sublminal message to BJ, I know he reads my blogs haha) but honestly, this card was more!

Looks can be deceiving. 

As I looked at my card over and over again I realized that God not only knows what we need and when we need it but He also tends to send things our way in packages we aren't expecting. There have been many times where I have said, "I never expected to be doing this or having that." There are things in my life that I currently don't understand, but somehow someway I know that it is exactly what I need and more. Are there things that God has sent your way that look different than you thought they would? Are you in a season of your life that you had not imagined you would be in? If so, I would love to hear about it.



TRUTH: "The best things come in small packages"- English Proverb




DARE: Don't overlook certain gifts just because they have been sent in packaging you weren't expecting.



1 comment:

  1. Great blog...and not just because it's about me :) It was weird, as I read it, I felt like buying a spa visit...crazy huh!?! Hahaha love you!

    ReplyDelete

Will you take me up on the DARE? How so? Would love to hear back from you.