Monday, October 10, 2011

Drawing the Line



These past 10 days have been nothing short of crazy, funny and frustrating at times. I think just about every day I experienced something "BLOG worthy." So let me fill you in on my life for the past week and half.

Here goes CRAZY.
BJ, Kennedi, Brooklyn, our dog Graham and myself moved out of a two bedroom loft and into a one bedroom apartment. Good thing we don't have a pet fish because it would have had a permanent residence in the bathroom toilet.


Here goes FUNNY.
We were eating lunch after church last Sunday and we smelled something. The question wasn't if what we smelled was a poopy diaper, but was which baby was responsible. So I did what every mom has done and I did the good ole "diaper check." If you're a mom, you know what I'm talking about. As I pulled the diaper away to take a peak, I realized that the poop I smelled was at the top of her diaper and now was on my hand. Yep, I had lots of baby poop on my hand! I started cracking up. I went to the bathroom with baby in hand and my best friend Alyssa followed closely behind with the diaper bag. As I was washing my hands I asked, "Is this tweetable?" Her response, "It is now."

Here goes FRUSTRATING.
These past few weeks have been challenging in every way you can imagine. We have been confused, unsure and just plain ole frustrated as we have been trying to navigate through this thing called life. As most of you know my life has involved a lot of risk. BJ and I have packed up our things several times and moved to where God has asked us to go. Some moves were 3,000 miles in distance and this past trek across America, we brought along our twin baby girls. I have DARED many of you to take leaps of faith, to trust God with the impossible and to see Him fulfill His promises. I have seen God perform miracle after miracle in my life and in your life so why have these past few weeks been so challenging?

I decided to draw the line. 

"God, I have done what you have asked me to do. I have sacrificed. I have been obedient. What else do you expect from me? I'm drawing the line." These were my exact words to God a week ago as I sat on the stairs of my half empty apartment. In that moment, what God was asking me to do, I wasn't willing to. What he was asking me to sacrifice, I wasn't willing to sacrifice. I was drawing the line. Even more so, I was thinking about quitting this whole thing and began entertaining ideas of a normal life. Shouldn't we be settled into a nice little home with a white picket fence, drive two cars and a have a pet gold fish by now? Maybe we should. But is that what I really want? Is normal what I really dream of having? There is a great scene in the movie "Soul Surfer" where Bethany's mom makes a statement to her that hasn't left me.

"Normal is so overrated."
 
I don't want normal. But sometimes my current situation or the obstacle I am facing makes normal seem more exciting than it really is. BJ and I have been on a long journey just like you and we have dreams inside of us that we can not wait to see come to pass, but the journey to getting there is going to cost us everything. On the other side of the place we draw the line is often the place where God leads us to. It is in that place He hides himself and in that place we find His blessings. I was talking to one of my dear friends just this week and we were filling each other in on the latest and the greatest and even the not so greatest. She told me, "Sarah if you had normal you would hate it." I believe her. Nothing about my life has been normal and I pray that it never does. I pray yours never does either. 

It takes courage.
When we say no to a normal life we embrace a courageous life. It will take courage to face adversity head on and dare to believe that what God has placed in your heart will happen. It will take courage to stand against the "dream haters" (the people who think you are absolutely irresponsible and crazy) and not see your situation from their perspective but instead see it from His perspective. It will take courage when you feel like you have nothing left to give, nothing left to do and just stand. 


What miracle have you been tempted to quit believing for? What dream have you considered giving up on? Where are you drawing the line?


TRUTH: "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:8-9(NLT)

DARE: Erase the line you have drawn in the sand. Forget normal. Take on courage.
 

1 comment:

  1. Just catching on up the blogs SJ. Normal is totally overrated! You asked what miracle have we been tempted to quit believing for... Well easy, for me, motherhood. I never gave up on being a mom. The desire in my heart was SO strong. It was His plan that brought Vera and I together. I mean, I first emailed about adoption on 10/10/2009. Vera was born 10/26/2009. Our journey towards each other started that very day. Today she sleeps upstairs in her bed and we are a family. I never knew love like this. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Will you take me up on the DARE? How so? Would love to hear back from you.