Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Why We Didn't Start On Monday.

I have a confession to make. I didn't start running last week and I haven't even put my feet to the concrete this week either. I have beaten myself up about it over and over and was hoping to move on from it until I realized that there is actually a method to this madness of promising ourselves we will get to something on Monday and how Monday yet again passes us by. As I was writing in my journal about how another day had gone by and I had yet to start running, I asked myself a question. "What is keeping me from just starting?" Here is what came to mind. Maybe you find yourself doing/saying the same things.


I see the big picture instead of the tiny steps.

I've always prided myself on being a dreamer, someone who is able to dream big dreams. But I realized that because I see the big picture or the end it is hard for me to see the tiny steps. I know what I ultimately want to do, in this case it is to run a half marathon, but it is hard for me to focus on what I need to do right now in order to get there.

I have a when/then vocabulary.

My first thought was that I needed running shoes. I have always heard that runners need a good pair of shoes so WHEN I get those new pair of shoes, THEN I will start running. WHEN I have this amount of money THEN I will be able to give more. I can go on and on. 

I focus on what is in my heart instead of what is in my hands.

I have dreamed about writing a book for as long as I can remember. I have come up with the concept, the title and even the names of each chapter. But, for so long I have just focused what was in my heart instead of realizing what God has placed in my hands. I heard someone say, "God will give you what's in your heart when you are responsible with what is in your hands." This BLOG, TRUTH or DARE is in my hands and I believe it is something God has given to me. I would love to have a book published, go out and serve the community with our church or feed the homeless but right now I am a full time mommy of twins and writing this BLOG is what I am able to give. 

I become overwhelmed by what I can't do instead of focusing on what I can do.

Right now I can not run a successful half marathon. That thought alone keeps me from putting on my old running shoes and running a mile or two today. I love to give BIG and I get discouraged when all I may have to give is treating someone to a Starbucks. The only description I can come up with is it's as if I become paralyzed when I can't serve, give, or do things to the degree that I would like to. It has kept me from doing anything because what I feel like I have to offer is insignificant. This past week or so however, I have really challenged myself to realize that I may not be able to do ________, but I can do ____________. It has been so freeing and I have realized that there are a lot more things I CAN do then I thought!

I think I am going to magically have time for it.

I think the main reason why I haven't started running is because I haven't scheduled it in. We all are super busy and if we want to begin doing something we have never done before then we better schedule it in. It is all about being intentional with our time. I can always find a million other things to do other than running. If I want to read a new book or begin a scrap book I have to write it down and schedule it into my calendar. It may seem silly but it works. 

Can you relate to one, if not all of these reasons for not starting today? What's great is that although I haven't started yet, today is only January 18th and I can begin something today. I have marked it in my calendar, I have pinned my favorite shoes in Pintrest and I am going to go for a run today. I may not run tomorrow but I am keeping the goal in mind and this year I WILL RUN A HALF MARATHON. How are you holding up to your New Year's resolutions/goals that you have set for yourself? I would love to hear back from you. 

A special thank you to everyone who commented last week. We chose our lucky winner! Stay tuned for more giveaways!


TRUTH: 

                                               “I am only one, but still I am one. 

                     I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; 

                               and because I cannot do everything,

                      I will not refuse to do something that I can do.”

                                                                  -Helen Keller

 

DARE: Don't beat yourself up about not starting and start today. 

2 comments:

  1. This was really convicting and I just wanna weep sitting here reading it. I need a kick in the pants sometimes (often). Thanks for your blog, Sarah! I can hardly wait for the book!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer! The TRUTH is my most favorite quote, it encourages me when I get overwhelmed by all that I feel I am NOT doing. Hope you have had a great week!!!

      Delete

Will you take me up on the DARE? How so? Would love to hear back from you.