Monday, November 14, 2011

Fearless

I have been a bit out of my workout routine as of late. OK, OK, I have been really out of my workout routine for the past month! So, this past week I decided to get back on the healthy train and go for a run. I really do enjoy running, it refreshes my mind and body and I always feel better once I've finished. This was my first time going for a run since we have moved so I wasn't sure what my route would look like. As I started running an overwhelming sense of fear came over me. I was suddenly afraid to go for my run and even thought about turning around and heading back home. I really wasn't sure where this fear was coming from. I called BJ on the phone and asked him if he thought it was safe. His reply was yes, the neighborhood is safe, there are a lot of people at the park and Jesus is with you. I agreed with all he said hung up the phone and continued running.

Fear. Less.

I knew that what I was feeling wasn't God warning about something that was going to happen but instead the enemy trying to instill fear in my mind. I started going over every "warning" anyone has ever given me. You know the ones that start with, "be very careful when you go out in public by yourself..."  or the ones that start with, " I saw on the news the other day about a mom who.." You know what I am talking about. I played out all these scenarios in my head and even plotted how I would fight off anyone who looked suspect. What in the world? Why was I being so fearful? Where was this coming from?

For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.
                                                                                                                    -2 Timothy 1:7 NKJ

Fear. Full.

I've never been a fearful person but during this run I realized that I have been fearful about a few things. It took me a few times around the park to get honest and really identify these fears. There is no love like the love a mother feels for her children. If you are a mother I know I am not alone when I say I fearful of something happening to my children. Sickness, hurt, disappointment, you name it, I have feared it. There is nothing I wouldn't do to protect my girls from harm. Absolutely nothing. I get up in the middle of the night and just peek over their cribs to make sure they are OK and there isn't a moment in my day that I am not thinking about them. I know that God has given mothers and fathers great wisdom and strategy to look after their children and that no matter what, we will always be protective and want the very best for them. But what I am talking about is a fear. Fear isn't something that comes from God. 

Fear Factor.

Maybe you are not a mother or a father but you are single and you fear that you will never find the right person and marry. Or maybe every time you get in your car you fear getting into a car accident. Or maybe the company you work for is experiencing layoffs and you fear you are next. I don't know your situation but I do know that fear can paralyze us and keep us from experiencing all that God has for us. It even has the potential to keep us from everyday experiences. Before writing this BLOG, I even feared writing about my fears in fear that what I fear will actually happen. Do you see what I am saying? Our fears can run our lives if we don't identify them and face them. The areas in our lives we fear the most are areas we cherish the most but also trust God the least. 

It Takes Guts.

Trusting God takes guts, especially when we are being asked to trust Him with our most prized possessions: our marriage, our kids, our finances, our future. As I was finishing up my run I made a decision that I was going to trust God wholeheartedly. That I was not going to allow fear to run my life or dictate my decisions. Some say Fear is the opposite of faith and that can be true but I really feel that fear is faith in the wrong things. It is faith in the "what ifs." The majority of what we fear will never actually happen!

This week I am going to be sharing more about my journey with fear.  What is a fear of yours? Is it public speaking, fear of failure, rejection? I would like to hear from you.




TRUTH:                          "Don't be afraid, I've redeemed you.
               I've called your name. You're mine.
              When you're in over your head, I'll be there with you.
              When you're in rough waters, you will not go down.
              When you're between a rock and a hard place,  it won't be a dead end—
              Because I am God, your personal God,
              The Holy of Israel, your Savior.
              I paid a huge price for you" Isaiah 43:2 MSG 

DARE: Don't let the worries about the unknown dictate your decisions today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Will you take me up on the DARE? How so? Would love to hear back from you.