Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Let it Play Out

This past weekend my parents came down to visit with us. We had a great time together. We spent the weekend in my old stomping grounds, Long Beach, one of my favorite cities. We walked along the pier, did some window shopping and of course ate some really good food. I even tried oysters for the first time. I love any opportunity I have with my parents and the girls love time with their Papa and Granny. Our weekend away felt like a mini vacation, something we really needed.

That's bad.

All great weekends must come to an end. As we were getting ready to pack up and leave, the power in both of our bathrooms went out. We were right in the middle of getting the girls ready and BJ nor I had grabbed a shower. My parents knocked on our door to confirm that our power had also went out before calling the front desk. The front desk informed us that due to some remodeling, the power was not coming back on. Getting ready in the dark wasn't really something anyone was looking forward to. It wasn't a big deal and none of us were upset, it was just an inconvenience.

That's good.

The front desk called us back within a matter of minutes to not only apologize for the inconvenience, but to inform us that they were going to comp the 68 dollar parking fee we had accumulated over the weekend. Taking a shower and brushing our teeth in the dark turned out to not be so bad after all.

That's bad. 

One of my favorite breakfast places is in Long Beach, so it was without question that we were going to eat there before we hit the road. We had decided that we were going to get ready, check out of the hotel and grab some breakfast. We had been looking forward to this meal all weekend, I had anyway. While you wait to be seated, someone comes to pour you freshly brewed coffee so you can sip it as you wait. It's a cute little place just walking distance from the beach. It was long after we were done talking, tweeting, checking our Facebook, uploading pictures and "checking in" to the restaurant when we realized it was taking a long time to get our food. The guests sitting all around us had eaten and were paying their bill and we didn't have our food. By this time, my girls were getting a bit restless and when I looked at my watch, I realized we had been sitting there for over an hour. The servers didn't seem to care that we had been sitting there and I have to admit I was a little irritated.

That's good.

The server finally came back to our table, this time with our breakfast plates. I was going to wait until she served us our meal to at least ask what took so long. Before I could utter a word, she looked at us and not only apologized for the inconvenience, but informed us that our entire meal had was on the house. Eating our delicious meal a little later than I wanted to turned out to not be so bad after all.

What is it? 

These moments were not crazy, life-altering moments, but they did teach me that sometimes we just need to allow things to just play out. I didn't stress out or get worked up about these happenings but I also didn't think they would work out in my favor. And they did. Whether it be a small thing like the power going out or maybe something a bit more serious, allow it to just play out. I can't promise you that you might get an entire meal for free, but, I can promise you that it will work out the way it needs to. What might look like a "bad" thing right now, might turn out to be not so bad after all.





TRUTH: And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love     God and are called according to his purpose for them.- Romans 8:28 NLT


DARE: Let it play out.



4 comments:

  1. I love reading your BLOG's Sarah!! ~Ale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it as usual! Let it play out.......I like that! Next time something bad is happening (life's inconveniences) I am gonna say...That's Bad....so Good has got to be on the way....and I am gonna just Let It Play Out : ) Thanks for sharing your heart and life! Love Ya : ) Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ale! I'm so glad. I take that as a BIG compliment coming from you. You have always been gifted to write!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim! Yes, I am so glad you are taking me up on the DARE! Let it play out :)

    ReplyDelete

Will you take me up on the DARE? How so? Would love to hear back from you.