Friday, March 1, 2013

Rocky.

Yesterday, while at work, a resident who was moving out asked if anyone wanted a fish. I excitedly screamed out, "I do!" The guy brought over this little fish tank and said, "Sarah meet Rocky, Rocky meet Sarah."

Beta Fish.

Rocky. What a cool name. Suddenly, I remembered the countless amount of fish that I used to win at the fair grounds who never made it passed the plastic bag I would bring them home in. "How do I keep him alive?" I asked. She giggled out loud and then began to tell me how Rocky had defied many odds. Rocky had jumped out of his bowl many times and apparently had a few close calls. So, keeping him alive shouldn't be a problem. His name became even more fitting to me.

Rocky The Fish.

I brought Rocky home and introduced him to his new family. The girls were so excited! They wanted to hold, kiss and pet Rocky. After we explained to them how Rocky needs to stay in his fish bowl, they were content to just stare at him. For a long time.

24 Hours.

Knowing that Rocky had defied the odds, the pressure was on. We couldn't let Rocky die his first night home! But after a careful evaluation, BJ and bet that Rocky wouldn't make it to the morning. Sad right? Good news, Rocky was still alive this morning- doesn't look like he will be seeing a toilet bowl anytime soon. Whew!

Defying The Odds.

There have been many times in my life where people have bet against me and my odds and I am sure the same is for you. No matter how tough you are, when people doubt you or seem to have a lack of confidence in who you are or what you are doing, it can be disheartening. No matter how many times I would tell myself that what they had to say didn't matter compared to what God, my family and those in leadership (pastors, mentors, etc) had to say about me, I allowed it to offend me instead of fuel me.

Big, Audacious & Crazy.

We have all defied the odds, we have all jumped out of our fish bowls a time or two, but that doesn't discount the BIG dreams we are supposed to dream, AUDACIOUS prayers we are supposed to pray, or the CRAZY risks we are supposed to take. In fact, the more we do these things, the more people we will have rooting against us. It comes with the territory. But just as you and I have what we call "haters", you will also have people in your corner who believe in you and are not threatened by your success. I am not talking about 'yes' people who will not challenge you or cause you to be better, I am talking about people who want the best for you.

Rocky The Movie.

Get around those people, and just like Rocky (the movie) get a Mick to stand in your corner and help you see life's greatest challenges as God opportunities in your life! Get around people who rally behind you and fight with you and for you for the very best in your life. My hope is that this blog plays a role in encouraging you to dream bigger! Rocky was an underdog who defied many odds, I hope the same will be true for you, me, and our new family member Rocky, the beta fish.


Every week I highlight a TRUTH about you, your life, or about a situation you may be facing and then I DARE you to believe it.



Here is this week's TRUTH or DARE.




TRUTH:
"But it ain’t about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done! Now, if you know what you’re worth, then go out and get what you’re worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody, you're better than that." -from the move Rocky.


DARE:  Keep dreaming, keep praying, keep believing and never listen to naysayers while you're doing it.




Meet Rocky. The fish.
 


1 comment:

Will you take me up on the DARE? How so? Would love to hear back from you.